Welcome to Rosarian Academy, a coeducational, Catholic independent school founded in 1925. Sponsored by the Adrian Dominican Sisters for over 90 years and accredited by the Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS), Rosarian Academy is rich in tradition, spiritual ethics and academic excellence. As a strong, family-centered community of faculty, teachers, parents and students, we’re joined in creating an exceptional environment that excels in knowledge, faith, arts, athletics and active service. Starting in our Montessori Early Childhood program (up to 5 years old) and continued through the Lower School (K - 4th) and Middle School (5th - 8th), we are dedicated to individually valuing each student and providing a secure and safe foundation for life.
Recognizing the need for a Catholic educational institution in South Florida, Bishop Patrick F. Barry, along with four Adrian Dominican Sisters, decided to create the all-girl St. Ann On-The-Lake Academy, teaching Kindergarten through 12th grade.
After triumphing through a hurricane and rebuilding its structure, the high school’s enrollment doubled. During the 1940’s, the school's name changed to Rosarian, the population and reputation continued to grow, and a beautiful Chapel and classroom building were built.
The school’s incredible growth spurt progressed throughout the 50’s. Over the next few years, the purchase of the Yacht Club allowed room for an auditorium, more classrooms, showers and lockers. Three new buildings and a swimming pool were also added to the campus.
The 60’s were a time of great social and political change for Rosarian. The educational structure was enhanced with forward-thinking programs and a guidance department. In addition, the state-of-the-art Margaret Tighe Machlin Fine Arts Center was built.
Innovation and change continued to take place at the school. The Montessori Early Childhood school was established in 1974.
Student input was taken into consideration for curriculum and social issues during this period. In 1986, the school’s coeducational structure was implemented for Early Childhood through 8th grade. Activities such as Boy Scouts and intramural sports were also added.
The high school closed in 1991 and reestablished to cover Montessori Early Childhood and kindergarten through 8th grade. The first co-ed 8th grade class graduated in 1992.
The groundbreaking for the Margaret and Michael Picotte Center for Athletics and Fine Arts, a 49,000 square-foot complex, began in 2001. The building was dedicated in 2009.
The swimming pool was filled in and today, the new ground serves as a tennis and volleyball court.
The Garvy Gym opened and the Rosary Chapel was rededicated.
Stephen Rubenacker began his tenure as Rosarian’s first male Head of School.
Over the last ninety years, Rosarian has experienced immense change. However, its guiding principles, grounded in strong moral and spiritual values, intellectual growth and service-mindedness, have remained the same.